Friday, February 18, 2011

Journaling 101


Over the next few days, it is my aim to get a written piece from each of the students on this blog.  We will be journaling throughout our time to reflect on what we are going through, seeing, feeling, etc.  For their first entry, the students were asked to think about why they were on the trip, what their expectations were, and what they hoped to walk away with at the end.   Here’s what some of them said:

Abby G.:  I am currently sitting next to Zach and Sofia on the plane.  We are on our way to Prague and are about to take off…we are now in the air.  Tonight we are going to a Liberal Jewish temple for Shabbat and tomorrow we are going to an Orthodox temple.  I have never been to an Orthodox service before and I am excited to compare the two different experiences.  I am especially interested in going to the concentration camp.  In Washington, D.C. we went to the Holocaust Museum and just being around different objects taken out of concentration camps was moving.  I cant even imagine the emotions that I will be feeling when in the camp.  I hope to learn about the interesting history that I know the city has and I can’t wait for this amazing trip to begin.  I feel as though there are many lessons to learn and I am very interested in seeing how the way they practice Judaism differs or is similar to our own.  I can’t wait to see how they take the same morals and values practiced all around the world and integrate it into their culture.  I am so thankful for this opportunity!  I am going to be in an extremely interesting and beautiful city with people I like – how could I not have a good time!? 

Joseph L.:  (11:51am, flying from London to Prague)  After reading the itinerary, I began to formulate some ideas and expectations about the trip.  I knew I would gain the valuable experience of visiting a new country as well as amore extensive knowledge of Jewish history.  More importantly, I expect to build new and strengthen some old connections.  After traveling for six days with someone, whether or not you knew them before the trip, it is inevitable that you will be much closer to them by the end.  However, it is not only people that I expect to build connections with, but the city as well.  If I’m lucky, this trip will be everything I expected and more.  P.S. Love you Mom, Dad, Jon, and Tiger.  See you when I get home!

Sofia S.: We are about to take off for Prague from London and I am not excited for another plane ride (my ears are still plugged!) even though it’s only an hour and a half.  I am very excited to see the sites and experience the difference in culture in Prague.  I have a personal connection to Prague, because my grandfather and his family lived there for generations up until World War II.  I have never been to a Holocaust Museum, so I am both eager and reluctant to go to Terezin because I have no idea what to expect.  Right now it is a possibility that we will go to a show that is done in black light with neon colors, but I really want to see it because other friends of mine have told me about it.  I truly and eager to take note of the differences between Eastern Europe and New York.  I am really glad that I am witnessing Prague as well as Eastern Europe for the first time with my friends from Central Synagogue.  Due to our busy schedules I hardly get to see them, so I am really glad that I get to spend these days with them.  I find it important for us to spend time together in a Jewish context and exploring our Jewish history.

“From the desk of Jason L.”: (11:51, flying from London to Prague, sitting across the aisle from Joe) While the itinerary expressed an enticing agenda, it can’t possibly fully prepare our class for the beautiful, and yet, educational elements of Prague.  We are all eagerly waiting the adventure that will unfold once we reach the city.  Much of the first part of the day will be dedicated to soaking in the gorgeous national beauty of the city while we are simultaneously educated on our Jewish past.  The Jewish area of the city will offer us insight into the ways of Jewish life that we have never experienced, so we are all looking forward to that. Many of us have visited a Holocaust Museum, but visiting Terezin is sure to be different than anything else.  The values that will be instituted to the participants of this trip will not only be educational, but a more diverse depth of Jewish culture.  We are all very excited for the opportunities we have been given to explore another “look” of Judaism.  We are sure it will be a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment