Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 2

Today's summaries and reactions are brought to you by some more of our travelers.  Following the posts are pictures which show everything they are telling about, and more!


Sydney M:  Today was such an interesting day.  We got to see another congregation in action; we went to an Orthodox synagogue that was over 700 years old!  One thing that shocked me was how as a woman, I sat in a completely separate room, and had to peer through a tiny rectangular window in the wall (that I couldn’t see through when I was sitting) in order to see into the main sanctuary.  To be honest, I felt really separate from all the guys, and, in a way, I also felt excluded.  I tried going up to the “windows” to try to feel more like I was part of the service, but it didn’t really work.  Next, we went to the Castle District (we took a bus there, it’s FREEZING here!!!).  we got there and walked through a monastery (after we changed out of our synagogue clothes).  There was an amazing view of Prague (see the group shot in the picture section!) and the old city.  We then walked to the castle (by this pint we were basically popsicles!) and I saw the cathedral.  It was SO pretty!  Next, we walked to a square and were given free time for lunch.  My lunch group was me, Maddie, Sofia, and Jon (we went out for crepes, I got a strawberry banana and chocolate one).  We met back up and went to the John Lennon wall (again, awesome pictures at the bottom!) which was really cool.  It basically is a wall where a younger generation used graffiti to express their desire for freedom.  We wrote Beatles lyrics on the wall, before crossing the pedestrian bridge.  It was really weird to see the anti-Semitism in the statues that were on the bridge, seeing as how long Jews have lived in Prague.  I never have really experienced anti-Semitism personally before, which I think is why that surprised me.  We had some more free time before we went to a classical guitar concert.  Personally, I really enjoyed it, although I don’t think everyone did, because it was a bit on the longer side, and I tgripped and fell down some stairs (not surprising considering how clumsy I am!)  we had a Havdalah service outside, and it was really nice to feel the sense of community in our group.  We then had dinner.  A bunch of us went out together to an Italian restaurant.  We had some great pizza, and bonded.  Now we’re back at the hotel, discussing our day.  It’s really interesting to see how different people feel about the Shabbat morning service.  Overall, today was really fun, and I’m sure tomorrow will be even better!

Maddie P:  We started the day off today at 8:30am (2:30am NY time).  Our first destination was the Orthodox synagogue in the city.  In this synagogue, women were separated from the men by a 2 foot cement wall with 6 inch tall holes in the wall to hear the service.  Sitting in the women’s section, I felt a complete disconnect from the service.  When I was sitting down, I could only see the ceiling of the sanctuary through the hole.  When I was standing I was too tall to look through the hole.  The Rabbi and all the other congregants in the synagogue felt so far away from me, I did not even feel like I was praying.  The Rabbi’s voice was a faint mumble in the background, thus I felt as though I was merely sitting in a white, plaster room with no windows.  Nevertheless, it was interesting to see how other types of Jews pray.  When I could see the Rabbi, he was facing the ark,, not the people like how it is at Central, thus it felt as though he was praying to God rather than putting on a show for the congregation.  Additionally, he chanted in a more monotonous voice rather than the lavish singing at Central, again giving it a more sincere, wholesome feel.  Although I did not appreciate the separation of men and women, observing this new way of prayer was intriguing and fascinating.  Our next stop was the castle district and it was HUGE!  Inside it felt as though an entire town could fit in there.  Inside the district was an extraordinary cathedral.  The cathedral was tall with large stain glass windows surrounding the interior, yet it was dark inside.  After touring around the town for quite a while we got some crepes for lunch and then had free time to go shopping.  After buying some trinkets for the fam, we went to go watch two guitarists play classical music.  They were both amazing!  Then we gathered in a circle outside the concert and had Havdalah.  While Az held the candle we prayed while spices were being passed around.  We continued to dinner and then back to the hotel.

Sabrina K: This is my first time writing so I want to start off by saying thank you.  Thank you to my mother for sending me on this trip.  Thank you to everyone here who is making this an amazing trip so far; and thank you to Prague for bing so enriched in a culture completely foreign to me, and making me feel a part of it.  Today we went to an Orthodox synagogue for morning services.  We sat in an area completely cut off from the men with only a few small holes to look through and hear the Rabbi.  Being a Reform Jew, it was interesting to me that in a place I should have felt separate, I felt special.  I loved the fact that I got to experience something that generations before me previously have experienced.  In that synagogue I felt a presence that, though not really spiritual, was sacred.  When we exited, we took a walking tour.  The places we saw included a huge church.  It was an interesting contrast to the secluded synagogue.  Both were sacred in their own way.  Prague’s architecture is amazing, and though it reminds me somewhat of Amsterdam, many aspects of it are all its own.  Something that really struck a cord with me was this enormous clock (Astrological Clock) with skeletons on it.  Our guide, Shlomo, explained that the clock had this design because every time it rang it was supposed to be a wake up call to say that death’s door is always too close and to start living.  When I saw the clock I really realized I was in Prague.  I knew it before with the synagogue and even just waking up here.  However, it was more of a wake up call to soak up every experience in Prague because it is a city with so many experiences waiting to be had.  It completely exceeded my expectations!  (Including the weather, but I thought it would be warmer.  It was insanely cold today.  But it snowed a tiny bit so it’s ok J)

Jon C:  Our first day in Prague was amazing.  It was amazing seeing all these fascinating buildings I never knew existed.  I now have a somewhat better sense of how big our planet is, because I barely knew what Prague was before this trip, but it is such a fascinating city.  I felt like it should be as well known as cities like London and Venice.  There are probably 100 other cities like Prague and I want to see them all.  every building and bridge is so full of artwork and history that Shlomo could talk for hours about it.  If it wasn’t so could I wish he would have!  I find that of the old history about the kings and queens fascinating and I can’t wait to learn more about it.  It is amazing how the Jewish people, despite being small in numbers, had such an integral role in the growth and development of Prague.



Sabrina, Hannah, Jackie, Abby, and Maddie after dinner

The entrance to the Cathedral District

Zach, Ben, Joe, Jason, and Jon keeping warm

View overlooking the first old Jewish section of Prague

A group shot at the overview

The changing of the guard in front of the King's Palace

St. Vitus' Cathedral's rose window from the outside

St. Vitus' Cathedral from the back

Lovers Bridge -- couples write their names on locks and toss the keys into the river flowing underneath.

John Lennon Wall

Love, Love, Love

"You may say that I'm a dreamer."

"Love is all you need"

"All you need is love."

"We all live in a yellow submarine."

The Astrological Clock

Havdalah

Rabbi Friedman, Az, and Cantor Sacks

No comments:

Post a Comment